What are Subaceous Cysts?
Subaceous Cysts are usually slow growing, painless, freely moveable lumps beneath the skin varying in size from a small pea to a clenched fist size or larger. Occasionally a cyst will become inflamed and tender. Electrolysis treatment is a very safe, effective, quick and affordable method of treatment when the cyst is of a "manageable" size.
Sebaceous Cysts most often arise from swollen hair follicles. Skin trauma can also induce a cyst to form and genetic links can also be a factor in their appearance. A sac of cells is created into which a protein called Keratin is secreated. These cysts are usually found on the face, neck and trunk of the body.
A small probe will be inserted into the Sebaceous Cyst, the energy expelled and a sensation of heat will be experienced. The contents of the Sebaceous Cyst may or may not be extracted. Repeat treatments are often required depending upon the size and nature of the cyst.
Following your treatment you may experience:
- A reddening and/or swelling of the skin in the area.
- Heat in the area that has been treated.
- The skin may itch as the healing process takes place.
Following treatment ensure you follow the aftercare advice to avoid unwanted reactions or infections:
- Do not touch the treated area and do not, under any circumstances remove any scabs that may appear.
Apply aftercare product regularly, with fresh,
clean cotton wool, until the area has completely healed.
- Aftercare products recommended use is: Sterex
Witch Hazel Gel for 24-48 hours, followed by 28 days of the Sterex Aloe
Vera Gel. Apply twice a day or as often as required under usual day/night
cream. Apres Clear can be substituted for the Witch Hazel Gel and offers
additional anti bacterial properties.
The treatment area can be
washed or cleansed, using a gentle soap free/perfume free cleanser. Gently pat
the area dry with disposable towels or tissue if possible.
- Depending on the location of the cysts, please keep out of U.V. light as much as possible, cover up with hats or parasol or total sun protection must be worn for at least 48 hours after treatment, preferably longer.
Avoid swimming, saunas, steam rooms, facial
steaming, facial scrubs, waxing and other beauty treatments until the area
has completely healed.
Avoid using any possible skin sensitizers or
irritants such as perfumes, fake tan products or perfumed body lotions.
Should you have any concerns regarding your
treatment please contact the Clinic.