What is Milia?
Milia are small, white spots that usually appear around eyes, cheeks and the eyelids and are simply a blocked pore, filled with a protein called \keratin which hardens. They are unsightly and can become bothersome when multiple.
Electrolysis is a safe, affective, quick and affordable method of treating Milia.
The exact cause of Milia is unknown but they are often related to a high cholesterol diet, dry dehydrated skin, high intake of Vitamin C, using products on the face which are too rich or acidic and there is possibly a heredity link.
The tip of a small probe (about the size of an eyelash) is inserted into the center of the Milia. A small stinging sensation will be felt and popping sensation may be experienced as the Milia is treated.
Following your treatment you may experience:
- A slight reddening and/or swelling of the skin in the area.
- Warmth in the area that has been treated.
- The appearance of the Milia may change, it may whiten, become more pronounced and obvious or alternatively, it can flatten at the time of treatment.
- The skin may itch as the healing process takes place.
- A tiny scab may appear which will eventually fall away naturally.
Following treatment ensure you follow the aftercare advice to avoid unwanted reactions or infections:
- Do not touch the treated area and do not, under any circumstance remove any scabs that may appear.
Apply aftercare product regularly, with fresh,
clean cotton wool, until the area has completely healed.
- Aftercare products recommended use is: Sterex
Witch Hazel Gel for 24-48 hours, followed by 28 days of the Sterex Aloe
Vera Gel. Apply twice a day or as often as required under usual day/night
cream. Apres Clear can be substituted for the Witch Hazel Gel and offers
additional anti bacterial properties.
The treatment area can be
washed or cleansed, using a gentle soap free/perfume free cleanser. Gently pat
the area dry
- Please keep out of U.V. light as much as possible and cover up with hats or parasol.
Avoid swimming, saunas, steam rooms, facial
steaming, facial scrubs, waxing and other beauty treatments until the area
has completely healed.
Avoid using any possible skin sensitizers or
irritants such as perfumes, fake tan products or perfumed body lotions.
Should you have any concerns regarding your
treatment please contact the Clinic.